Monday, October 22, 2018

Personal History of Stanley Floyd Leonard written by himself

Written by Stanley in 1994
Born June 23, 1915, Price, Utah
Early in the morning of June 23rd, 1915, I was born to Leo B. and Zoe Ellen Powell Leonard, in Price Utah. I was number six out of what was to be a family of nine children -- seven boys and two daughters.

My father was born and raised in Kamas, Utah. He was a kind man, hard—working, dedicated to his family - working really hard to see that we had the food and clothes we needed.

My mother was a native of Price and lived there nearly all her life. She was a very strong personality, with a great deal of good common sense. She was a competent planner and could get things done that needed to be accomplished. Mother and father always kept our home very attractively, as it was one of the nicest homes in Price at that time.

One of the earliest experiences I can remember (when I was approximately three years old) is the night my family arrived home from Idaho. We pulled into the railroad station at Price. It was dark, wet, and cold. Years later, I talked to mother about these memories and she said that it had to have been when we came home from visiting Dad, who was working in Idaho. I can also remember a lot of people at the station.

We lived in Peerless for nine or ten years. While there, Max and Jack were born. It was my job to wash the diapers and, boy, were there a lot of them! Some wash days, usually Saturday, I headed for the hills and hid. A boyhood friend, Ken Howard, and I would take enough food to get by for the day. We would come slinking back at night, only to be rewarded with a good spanking.

I had little odd jobs to earn money, such as pass bills for a dollar, or work at the company store for a new pair of shoes, bananas, or whatever. We would have to go to Mutual and Sunday School at Spring Canyon. I joined the Boy Scouts in Spring Canyon, where I would have to go alone at night. It was scary coming home at 10 o'clock and I would run all the way. But at Christmas time, I was always the one who had the privilege to go up in the mountains to get our Christmas tree at Peerless. I didn't have to go far, just up a mile or so but the snow could be quite deep at times.When we moved back to Price, I remember that I got sick and had to stay with Dad and Birdie in Peerless, where I could be close to the company doctor.
Before we moved back to Price, Birdie got married to Ernie. Mother was quite upset - Dad also.
Dad had a good dance orchestra that played at the museum. Mrs. Beebe played the piano, Clayson and Emmet played sax. Clair played drums, and Lee the trumpet. Mother filled in once in a while on piano. Of course, Dad was on the violin.

Lee and Emmett, my brothers, liked to play baseball and I would go down to watch. Lee was the pitcher. One time I stood out in the pitcher's box gawking around and not paying attention when I was struck in the mouth with a baseball that had been hit out over the pitcher's box. I ended up losing four teeth and receiving a big swollen mouth.

Other memories that come to mind are: the two big trains that hit head on in the tunnel just outside of Helper, the coal mine strike of '24, when a friend of our family, Algers, got shot and killed, and the Castle Gate mine disaster of 1923 when more than a hundred men were killed.

Memories on a more positive light are when the Greeks would roast young milk lambs and really have a big feast for Easter. Another event was in the fall when the Greeks and Italians had a big box car of grapes come into the coal yard and it seemed like a couple of hundred or more of them would divide up the grapes to make wine. They would also kill pigs and make head cheese and sausage which all of us kids would then raid their cellars and smoke houses and have some wine and sausage of our own. Actually we were taking these things from our own parents, but it was fun. Also, I always liked the Greek Easter celebrations.

When we moved back to Price, I went to Central Elementary School. Charles Madsen was my teacher. Then, [I moved] over to Harding Junior High, where a friend, Carl Harmon, arranged for me to fill-in on the Harding Junior High Band. One day, on the Fourth of July, one of the drummers left his drums at home. Carl knew this and asked me if I would fill in. I got Clair‘s snare drum and tapped out the beat for the marching band.

When I reached High School, I decided to go more into music. I studied hard on the drums and also joined the mixed chorus, the men's chorus and the orchestra. I soon became head drummer for the Beginning Band and was named student director for the Beginning Band and Orchestra. I was also Band Director for Notre Dame High School.

I helped E.M. Williams, the Carbon High School band director, a lot in my senior year. E.M. Williams made me Student Director of the Advanced Band, which went to Chicago for the National Band Contest. This is where we won "Highly Superior" in Marching, and "Superior" in playing. I won "Highly Superior" for Drum Solo. I also received two gold medals for Drum Solo and Marching, and a silver medal for Band Music.

As Student Director, I helped tune up the Band or Orchestra when Director Williams had other things to do. I also played in Dad’s Orchestra for three or four years until getting married and moving to Salt Lake City, in 1937. At that time, BYU and Northwestern Universities offered me music scholarships, which I had to decline because of the depression.

I worked at Price Bakery during fifth and sixth grades. When Clair was promoted to meat manager position at the Safeway stores, I think in Park City, I replaced him and went to work for John Adams, Blanche's step Dad, at Safeway. I had meat and grocery jobs from then on for Piggly Wiggly and GP Skaggs. They were really important jobs during the depression.

During my term as president of the YMMIA, Roy Powell, a cousin who worked for Henry J. Beckel Packing Co. as a salesman, introduced me to Beth Beckel sometime in the fall of 1936. This meeting took place at a Mutual social dance. She had come to visit her Dad, Henry J . Beckel, from Haegler, Nebraska. I was told by Roy to make sure she enjoyed herself, and that she had a good time. So I did. I was also instructed to introduce her to them, but I saw what I thought was special and kept her to myself. I told my boy friends to leave her alone. "She's mine." In six weeks we were engaged and six or seven months later, we were married.

Beth and I were married April 28, 1937 in the Manti Temple. Mother and Dad were with us, along with a bus load of friends from Price. We all rode over to the temple. We were married around One O'clock.

We lived in Price for a short time at Judge Christensen's basement apartment in his home. We then moved to Salt Lake City, where I went to work for William Ward on 13th East for Crystal Palace for a couple of years. In addition, I worked for Crystal Palace as a meat and delicatessen manager at 17th South and 5th East. I then went to GP Skaggs as manager for several years around 1940, after which I started to work for Safeway Meat Market as their head meat cutter. I was head meat cutter in Midvale, then at 6th South and West Temple until December of 1948.

Our daughter Connie was born in Salt Lake City on March 13, 1939, at LDS Hospital. We were living at 664 South West Temple in the basement of the Kartchner fourplex. We had some nice friends and had a good time living there until we bought a home at 119 Beryl Avenue - and moved there.

In the forties, while still living on West Temple, I played with the Salt Lake Symphony, (which later became the Utah Symphony Orchestra) for about two years. We played at the tabernacle and at Liberty Park. One year we combined with the Salt Lake Musical Chorus and put on the opera "Faust" at South High School. Once we took Mom and Dad to the tabernacle where we were giving a combined orchestra and chorus concert. They really enjoyed it. I could have gone on with the Symphony, but they were not paying enough money at the time, and I had a good job with Safeway.
Beth worked at the Arms Plant while I was quite sick during 1941 and 1942. I could work very little. Jeannie was born during this time on July 31, 1941. I believe we were still living at 664 South West Temple. Dawn was born to us on April 28, 1949. All of our children were very beautiful babies.
I was a teacher in the Fourth Ward, at 7th South and West Temple, and continued on when we moved to our new little home on Beryle Avenue. The Central Park Ward also kept me quite busy teaching in the Elders' Quorum and president of YMMIA. I then went on to the Stake Mutual Presidency. I was active in scouting for both wards and the stake. From 1947 to 1948, I became active on the Boy Scouts' Great Salt Lake Council.

I had a dance band for several years -- Leonard's Dance Band. We played all around Salt Lake for the stake dances, the Hotel Utah, the Newhouse Hotel, weddings and country clubs. We also played in Tooele and Magna.

We moved to Provo in June of 1949. I bought a Meat Market at Brookside in Springville, Utah and operated it for the next six years.

We bought a home at 851 South 5th West in Provo, Utah. When we moved to Provo, I was somewhat active in the ward and stake for a while, but was soon asked to work on the Provo District Scout Council as their Leadership Training Chairman. I organized and instructed the first University of Scouting for the Utah National Park Council. Scouting seemed to keep me very busy doing training for the council. I had a staff of at least fifty people which covered all areas of scouting leadership from the Point of the Mountain at American Fork south to the Grand Canyon in Nevada. I received the Provo Peak Award in 1952 and my Silver Beaver Award in 1953. I also received numerous other awards.

I was initiated into the real estate business in 1952 by an old friend -- R. D. Frazer. I worked with him for several years, when at that time, I started with Ed Stein out of Orem, at Stein McClintock Realty until we moved back to Salt Lake in 1959.

Beth and I worked at the State Mental Hospital in Provo from 1950 to 1959 as "Grey People" or volunteers for the American Red Cross, where I organized an orchestra from the various patients. We had approximately an eight to ten-piece orchestra. We played the dances for the dances for the patients at the hospital. Also, some of the outpatients would visit our home each week to play cards, talk and play piano.

One time, Mother went to the hospital with us when we played for the patients. After we had finished playing and while the patients were leaving to go back to their wards, the nurse started to take Mother. They asked her which ward she belonged in. She let them know that she was the mother of Stan Leonard, the band leader, and was not a patient. She made her way over to Beth and me in a real hurry. It was very humorous at the time. We kidded mother about it.

Beth was busy in the Presidency of the YWMIA in the ward and later resigned to teach the MIA Maids, as Jeannie was in that age group. In 1959, we moved back to Salt Lake and I went to work for Bettilyon Realty as Manager of their Custom Building Department. I worked there until 1965, when at that time, I became employed as a Sales Manager for Todd E. Eager Real Estate. In 1969, Connie and I went into business for ourselves. We have been in business continually from August 15, 1969 to the present. We have done moderately well.

I have always been an avid reader, especially of legends, myths, and fairy tales. I was fascinated with history and all these seemed to hold a special appeal for me, all my life. It seemed I had an attraction for poetry, music, and literature. I have collected so many very nice books on these subjects. Little did I know at the time that these studies would be of such great benefit to me.

In September of 1963, I became very interested in dreams and the teachings of CG. Jung. With my brother Lee, Comic, Beth, and Elaine, we all jumped into it with both feet. We devoted quite a bit of time to the study of Jungian Psychology, with Lee as our teacher. Lee spent most of the time with us going over our dreams, analyzing them, along with Gestalt studies. We read and researched ancient history, myths, fairy tales, and legends, which helped to give us a background as to fully explore our dreams.

For the next several years, we spent a tremendous amount of time and effort studying and pursuing Jungian Psychology in great depth, while at the same time continuing with the real estate business. Lee came to Salt Lake for visits, spent time with Max and Jean in Frankfurt and at his home in Vienna. We established a Jungian Study Group in Salt Lake, of which I have been head for some thirty years, giving lectures, teaching, and doing dream analysis. In 1963, Beth, Lee, and I were in our room where I received a call from Gloria R., who had heard Lee's talk on the radio about "Jung". She talked to Lee at some length about her being a 'psyche'. Lee let them know he was only visiting us. Gloria was a member of a group of students studying under some doctor. Anyway, one night, she called and asked me if I would be her guru, which I refused. I told her I would share with them what I knew about CG. Jung and learn with them, but I wouldn't be their guru. They accepted this. There were approximately fifteen members from this small group in 1965. We began during the late 60's and early 70‘s. We had several hundred people coming to our home for meetings two to three times each week. I grew so weary by 1977 that I burned out and stopped any and all meetings until 1982 and 1983. At that time, my psyche let me know that I had to get back into the public eye, as I had a great swelling or push from deep within to return to teaching and letting people know about Jungian psychology.

So, I began gathering materials and organizing a program. I started my first class in 1980-81 at the Golden Braid Book Store, another at the South Salt Lake Library in 1981-82, and at 451 East 33rd South in 1981-81. And in 1983, Beth and I had a class at Cottonwood High School for the adult continuing education program. From there we went to East High School's continuing education program, from 1984 through 1990. We gave a class at the University of Utah's Department of Social Work's continuing education program in 1992.

Our real estate business has been successful for over twenty years. I am now retired after forty years in real estate. My avocation is to write and teach Jungian Analytical Psychology. To date, I've written approximately fifty articles. We are very interested in Jung's Individuation Process for it is a never-ending process, one of learning and conscious raising, of expanding God's consciousness, the "Glory of God is Intelligence," and for one to come to self-knowledge.

Our intention is to continue to work in this area until our transition, and presently, we are still very active teaching Jungian psychology. Since Lee's transition, (we have spent) much time attending Jungian seminars and workshops to further our knowledge and expertise in places such as Denver, California, and Zurich, Switzerland. I plan to write more articles and help our Jungian group as I have semi-retired from teaching and organizing work. I want to direct my energies to consolidating the many writings and ideas which I still have running around in my psyche.

We like to travel, and this has been an added benefit. While Max and Jean were in Europe, we visited them several times, enjoyed a couple of cruises -- one to Russia and the Baltic Countries, and one to the Far East -- China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and one to Hawaii.

Our future plans include trips to Israel, Egypt, Greece and Italy, hopefully in April 1994 and Alaska in July 1994.

The Stanley F. and Beth B. Leonard Family [as of July, 1993]
Stanley Floyd Leonard 6-23-15 Price, Utah
Beth B. Leonard 12-27-17 Salt Lake City, Utah
Constance Joann L. Reid 3-13-39 Salt Lake City, Utah
Richard A. Reid 10-19-?? Magna, Utah
Roger L. Reid 9-16-?? Salt Lake City, Utah
David A. Reid 9-1-61 Salt Lake City, Utah
James R Reid 2-18-63 Salt Lake City, Utah
Patrick Reid 7-19-89 Salt Lake City, Utah
William Reid 3-2-90 Salt Lake City, Utah
Kerry Reid 5-16 Salt Lake City, Utah
Christopher Reid 7-21-90 Salt Lake City, Utah
Margie Reid 12-4-?? Salt Lake City, Utah
Jeannie L. Wellington 7-31-40 Salt Lake City, Utah
Gerald Wellington 8-9-35 Salt Lake City, Utah
Mark Wellington 4-10-62 Salt Lake City, Utah
Connie Wellington 5-18-61 Salt Lake City, Utah
Adam 10-12-83 Salt Lake City, Utah
Eric 10-16-86 Las Vegas, Nevada
Steven 1-17-92 Salt Lake City, Utah
Deidra 9-20-69 Bountiful, Utah
Rick 11-6-69 Bountiful, Utah
Levi 7-8-92 Bountiful, Utah
Dawn L. Roberts 4-28-49 Salt Lake City, Utah
Lee K. Roberts 9-10-49 Salt Lake City, Utah
Chelsey B. Roberts [-10 Salt Lake City, Utah
Joshua K. Roberts 8-16 Salt Lake City, Utah

No comments: